A three days hands-on Geant4 course will be held at The Center for Nuclear Physics, Institue of Physics, Hanoi (Vietnam) from January, 11th to 13th, 2018. Geant4 is a software toolkit, written in C ++, for simulating tracking of particles in the matter with the Monte Carlo approach. The software is developed and maintained by an international collaboration of scientists belonging to different institutions. Geant4 can be used for applications in high energy physics, astrophysics, medical physics, particle astrophysics and nuclear physics. 2nd Geant4 Tutorial in Vietnam will be dedicated to new Geant4 users, having a basic knowledge of C++. The topics of the 2nd Geant4 Tutorial in Vietnam will cover both nuclear physics and medical applications. Lectures will present basic knowledge of the Geant4 toolkit from installation through advanced examples that build progressively more complex application.
- General presentation about Geant4 and the latest version of Geant4
- Installation of Geant4 on Linux OS or virtual machine
- Single and multi-threading modes
- Geometry, materials and hands-on
- Electromagnetic physics lists and hands-on
- Hadronic physics lists and hands-on
- Biasing and scoring mesh and hands-on
- Hands-on in data extraction from simulation using ROOT
- Hands-on in data analysis from simulation using ROOT
- Hands-on with microdosimetry and dnaphysics example (Geant4-DNA)
- Presentation of the chemical stage of Geant4-DNA (optional)
lectures and hands-on will be taught in Vietnamese. A special section will be focused on Geant4-DNA, an extension of the toolkit dedicated to the simulations and modeling of early biological damage induced by ionising radiation at the DNA scale. The tutorial is aimed at students, medical physicists and young researchers working at universities or research institutes.
Registration is opened, a maximum number of 20 participants will be admitted on a first-come-first-served basis.
The deadline for the participation is the December 20th.
There is no registration fee to participate to this tutorial, following the open source tradition of Geant4.
Participants are required to bring their own laptop (minimum Core i3, RAM 4 Go). A virtual machine with a Linux OS and a ready-to-use Geant4 installation will be provided for 64 bits Windows and Mac machines, together with the installation instructions. The latest version of Geant4 should be used.